Monday, April 28, 2008

I went to Indy for about 48 hours to pick up my wedding dress.
When David and I first decided to get married, I didn't want a wedding dress. I wanted to not even have a "wedding." But I'm an only child, and David's the only boy, so we figured we'd do it for the fam. I still didn't want to spend money on a dress. My mom wanted to go look, and I kept tossing dresses aside because of price. My mom told me that since she wasn't paying for the wedding, she wanted to buy my dress.
I thought, what the hell? How often will I get to wear a gown? So I found one. I picked it up Friday and this feminist has to say,
Holler!
I LOVE it. It is magnificent. It's very vintage, which is what I wanted. Seeing it on me, made for me, not being held up with clothespins this time...I was way excited.
I think that's okay. I'm making peace with our decision to play into the heteronormative institution. Sort of. I still don't think we should have to get married in order to claim one another as family, to make owning our home easier, etc etc. But until we change that system, here we are.

1 comment:

Dana said...

enjoy the dress. and everything that comes with it. forget those who don't know you and judge you because you have a beautiful wedding dress that fits your personality and taste. seriously, why are they even worth it? you are getting married to a great guy, and i'm glad you are going to wear something that makes you feel royal.