Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"What happens to a dream deferred...does it explode?" -Langston Hughes

I have deferred a dream. Or, I have tried. It keeps coming back to me, at night, during the day... it is everywhere. A note to Langston Hughes: it doesn't explode. It marinates, it itches the back of throat, a space in the back of my brain, and the itch is moving forward. How long can a dream be deferred is my question. There are reasons I have pushed it aside, but perhaps better reasons to realize it. I hate the term "dream" because it's cliche... and it makes it sound ethereal... somehow not grounded or real. I have deferred a part of me. A part of me is not being acted out. I am lying by ommission.
What happens to a dream deferred...does it explode?
I want it to explode. I want to feel the burst within me, light the fire, crumble the walls, shoot out of every orifice of my body! ...but I am afraid. Or lazy.
Or realistic.

No comments: