Friday, November 30, 2007

My mother always said that people die in threes. I think it's funny because, of course, people die every day. People die by the thousands, really. But it seemed that each time she knew someone who died, she knew of two more. Today, Evil Kinevil died, and yesterday Hyde, and I feel like some other well-known person in the last week or so. It made me think of this theory. It made me realize that you can prove anything really. Not too mention the other thousand people who died this week, we can pick these three, the first three we all think of, and prove this theory. What else do we prove by picking and choosing? Most things, I think. Especially when it comes to the bible and what those believers of the bible choose to adhere to. Leviticus? Come on! That's perfect! Often cited when engaging in the "Jesus loves you, Mike, and your friend, Todd, but not that you two have sex!" debate. It's there in Leviticus... but take a look at the rest of CRAZY MESS OF LEVITICUS! No pork, no shell fish, women can't wear red, can't cross a body of water while on her period.... yikes. I love me some bacon. I ate crab last week. My favorite prom dress was red and I live five blocks from Lake Michigan, and cross the Chicago River each day to get downtown. And, I am not heterosexist. There's my hand basket. I'm going to hell.
I've been told that these other rules in Leviticus are "outdated" or perhaps "allegorical." Bull shit. You can't pick and choose. How is one more literal than the other? It isn't specified.
But the master class loves pork and shell fish, benefit from water-side real estate, and want the freedom to turn heads at their charity balls in red evening gowns. Accepting homosexuals doesn't serve their purpose, and this is why they have chosen to follow this rule. In fact, to accept homosexuality as normal (read a science book. It'll teach you about evolution too!) would threaten their hold on hegemony. Straight men, regardless of race and class, have at least the advantage of being men, and being able to marry who they love, bestow financial and health benefits on their partners, and hold hands with their partners without being harrassed. It's heterosexual privilege. Shell fish don't threaten anyone's privileged status.
I say if you site this book, the bible, when defending the nation's denial of marriage equality, you first need to be reminded of the separation of church and state. But, if you insist on using this passage of this book that, gasp, not everyone believes in!, you should have to follow it all, baby! The whole shabang! Hey, I'm just trying to keep you accountable! I'm trying to help! If nothing else, this wll prove your point even further, that you are that serious about your anti-GLBT conviction. People will think, "WOW! They must be on to something! Look! Uncle Eddy used to love shrimp! He hasn't touched the cocktail all night!" You'll be such a martyr! Sweet!
And I know it will suck. You look so cute in that red dress! And crab legs? Wow. Yum. But, you know, while you're suffering those cravings and lamenting the money you spent on that red dress you'll never wear, just imagine how much harder it is to be unaccepted, chastised, and even killed for merely being who you are. Shrimp, ball gowns, people attracted to their own sex... it's all there together.
Hate is not a family value, nor is it very "Christian," if that is something you aspire to be. Maybe you don't think what you are doing is hating... but what if your group was singled out and denied basic rights and privileges? Wouldn't you feel hate from your oppressing groups? I doubt anyone nowadays looks back on the defenders of slavery as generally amiable folks. They hated someone. Not accepting someone based on prejudice is hate. Just because you don't commit a hate crime does not mean you don't hate. Denying a child the right to be legally protected by both her parents if they happen to be of the same sex is hateful. Denying a couple who has loved and supported one another for years the right to hospital visitation is hateful. And the fact that people don't see this as hate, or that it's anything like racism, is damn scary. Scarier still,that churches and our GOVERNMENT are backing it up. (just like racism!) We are better than this. At least I am. The rest of you can pick and choose between your hate and shell fish. I'm going to love and fight and scream and cry. I'm going to change it.

1 comment:

Dana said...

i get what you're saying.
here's the thing.
it makes me upset that you seem to flop all "Christians" into the same political and personality mode. Because we have a relationship w/ Christ, are white, are usually middle class, and live in the midwest, then we are all the same angry, condescending judgmental pricks.

my comment isn't about the homosexual debate. that should be a personal conversation not a blog comment. what makes me sad is that "Christians" have been in your life in a good way too, MM. yet from what i read, none of us are good enough for anything anymore. we have been there for you through good times and bad, and never once have we (to my knowledge) done anything but support you and your decisions even if we didn't always agree. we aren't doing this to promote some agenda; it is simply because we love you.

i really doubt you feel this way about us. however, i hope you see my point that sometimes your generalizations of this particular group of people is too harsh. it is fine for you to fight for injustices, but please be careful in who you say is to blame.