Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Confession

Last night I....
I...
er...
bought something from WalMart. UGH. I hate WalMart. I have an unoffical ban on WalMart! I have always hated just being inside WalMart, but my sophomore year of college, I studied the company in a social justice class and learned of their sneaky and shaky ways. I vowed to never shop at WalMart. But, here I am, looking at my email confirmation that my new comforter and sheet set is on the way.
But really, where can you shop without abusing your morals? Even Amazon, which I think gets a fair amount of my income....eek... donates to the Republican party. But I can't quit Amazon. It's too incredible. And Target is now almost worse than WalMart as far as health insurance for their employees.
What is a socially consious person to do? The same thing happened when David and I were house hunting. I did not want to be an in-mover, a gentrifier. But, we bought in a rehab building in Edgewater because it's what we could afford. It seems like I have to find small independent expensive boutiques for all my wares and rent the rest of my life in order to have any integrity.

No comments: