Wednesday, October 20, 2010

When you've struggled to make ends meet or to throw together some semblance of normalcy, little victories are of the utmost importance and gravity. Moments when you realize you're okay, you're doing this thing yourself, god damn it, and that you're standing strong enough that the next wind won't blow you over. You've got roots in the ground. Upright. A human.

There are moments of ridiculous pride that I keep to myself. For example, I refrain from busting into the bedroom where my love is napping, to scream, "LOOK! I MADE A SANDWICH!" Lots of people make sandwiches all of the time. Hell, I made them for a living for four years to get myself through undergrad. But this sandwich, this sandwich I made at home, with meat and cheese from a deli counter that my living wage allows me to buy. I spread hummus on the bread, too.

All I'm saying is, it's a far cry from last year when I ate one meal a day, at work, because it was free. And I didn't turn my heat on because it was too expensive.

And I just made an awesome sandwich.

No comments: