Monday, December 3, 2007

I have to say that this post is inspired by two other bloggers: Dana for the subject and by her poetic telling of it, and Mindy for her honesty.
I don't know how often in my life I've been truly honest. I mean truly honest...with my myself and others. It seems as if I was always getting myself into situations that I had to hide from, or felt I had to, or situations that I assumed other people in my life wouldn't approve of. As I ran around in early high school not caring what people thought of purple fishnets, I guess, looking back, I cared deeply what they thought about ME. I had all of these ideas... I had these dreams. Some of them ended up materializing in the future and some did not. For example, I knew for so many years that my best friend Martin and I were going to move to New York and he was going to dance and I was goin to act. Or stage manage. Or write. Or everything. Life is wide, wide open when you are young. I miss that. I miss the possibility of the impossible. I was going to leave Indiana, and never ever look back. I didn't need anyone there and they didn't need me. Maybe this seems sad. But in a way it was refreshing. I could go anywhere. What did happen was that I did move to a big city, although it wasn't New York. I moved with another good friend who I knew through theatre, but neither of us aspired to be actors or dancers or anything theatrical up here. In fact, I didn't really know what I aspired to be. And while I did leave Indiana and at this point don't know that I'll live there again, I still have ties there. They are stronger, even, then when I lived there. David's family keeps a part of me there. I love them. I, as Hallmark-y as this sounds, have his two sisters who are now my sisters, my two brother-in-laws, and his parents. They are a reason to be there. I didn't know that was going to happen. I didn't know that I would have a life partner and that we would share a mortgage. I didn't know. I wasn't expecting to have such a strained relationship with my mother, or with Martin. I guess I was disappointed by them. I didn't expect to be giving my life over to the career and field I am going into. When I peered into my future in middle and high scool, I didn't see myself weeping alone in my office after giving my first positive result as an HIV test counselor. I didn't see myself staying in Chicago for my family here, Jay and Dwayne. I didn't think I'd be pursuing such an archaic major, Social Justice, for Christ's sake, and I surely never thought I'd do something as normal as living with a man and having a mortgage and entertaining the idea of getting married.
When I told an ex-boyfriend that I wasn't going to major in theatre, he said I was "selling out." As if everyone who does not have a creative career is somehow a part of the system, The Man, and therefore not valid. Tell me how I can sell out by entering a career where I will work for the rights of others and make hardly any money. I knew that when he said it years ago... but at that point in my life, I let him say it. I let males tell me a lot of things then. I let men do a lot of things then. I went along, an unwilling but non-protesting victim. Some of you know about this awful time in my life, and some of you only knew the happy, passionate facade I used, as I hid by keeping myself busy doing theatre. I hid in my characteer's lives, painstakingly creating their lives so I did not have to face my own. I just wonder what if I had been consious all those years, what choices I would have made.
And here I am, now, a self-proclaimed feminist, I've worked with rape victims being tested for HIV, and there is a part of me that wants to cry with them, maybe harder than them, because unlike them, I am not still in shock. I want to tell them that it's alright and one day they may eve see it as an asset. Hell, I want to shout to them, it may make you change the world. But I don't. Because I know I wouldn't have understood it then and my last thoughts were about my future, because I didn't see my future. I was too busy hiding from the present.
What is the point of this post? I don't know. I've just been thinking about my life a lot lately, and how so many people don't really know me. Even those who think they do, who I consider my very best friends. And it gets heavy, this knowledge, this past, and I thought I'd let some of it, this fraction of it, go. Even if no one reads it, it is here and not here, with me. That was the point, I suppose.

1 comment:

Dana said...

...there you are again.


this made me very happy indeed even though i know it wasn't a particularly happy post. it gave me great delight because i realized recently that too much of my life and the conversations about me revolve around my activities as opposed to actually being about ME (no strings attached to the passions and causes in my life). this was a glimpse of your heart, and although i'm sorry i can't be there with you to experience it first hand, this was the next best thing.